Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our first day on labor and delivery from Sybil

hey everyone! Sorry we haven't posted in a few days. We had more computer training Monday morning until noon then lunch and then we finally went to labor and delivery. We got a tour of the unit including locker rooms and OR's. They provide scrubs for us that are light blue but SOOOO comfortable like the greens we are forbidden to wear at TMH. Anyway, they were busy again and running in 50 different directions so the manager sent us home to "study"- sure lady.
We had to figure out our schedule through April 19th because Keely and I only had 1 same shift. We now have a few more and at least the same weekends off. And, we've learned some things need to be in our next contract to avoid the scheduling confusion! We were supposed to work 7p-7a last night but they had us come in at 8am Tues morning and work until 8pm instead and guess what for? You got it- more computer training! The hospital just switched their entire computer program over to Epic so the whole hospital is trying to learn the new system- basically, it's a mess. But, one more night of sleeping normally was fine with us! We were assigned lockers- Keely and I opened our combination only to find it full of someone's belongings. We are still waiting for a new locker assignment. We were paired up with nurses, Keely got an awesome traveler and I got sent into a room with a direct admit who wanted an epidural yesterday. It was crazy so I just did pt care, started her IV and got her labs. I met 2 CRNA's, one named Andrea (we have an Andrea at TMH :) the other I can't remember his 1st name but his last name is Engle so I'm going to call him my half brother. Most people on the floor are nice but we had been warned about a scrub tech, Walter. We met him in the staff lounge when I mistakenly asked him if he was the "scrub tech." He quickly corrected me and said he was a "licensed certified surgical blah blah blah" and didn't like to be called scrub tech. I said, "no kidding, I couldn't tell." He later stopped me in the hall and said he could tell I was the fiesty one in the bunch! Then he was talking to Nedra, Keely and myself when Keely decides to stand behind him and start making faces while pointing to his Left ring finger that is ringless and jokingly insinuating this was possibly a man I should date (not a chance in hell-he's about 6 ft, 300 lbs and has summer teeth- some are here and some are there). For my family, he reminds me of an oversized BRAD at all the FSU games! I had to turn around b/c I was about to burst out laughing at her making fun of this OR natzi who clearly thinks he runs the show. He was very nice after that 1st encounter-I'm telling you if you stand up to jerks like that, they back down!
Anyway, Keely will have to write about her day. I didn't leave my pts room from 3pm-8pm (except to pee and I did get a 15 min break) when she was admitted, got and epidural, wasn't comfortable, had the CRNA come bolus her epidural, she was still uncomfortable, got a 2nd epidural, had a 4 min deceleration of the fetal heart tones when midwives, doctors, nurses, etc ran in. All was fine and I learned a LOT about their differences with pt care (not so different) but did nothing on the new computer charting system. I figured I'd leave something for tonight when we work 7p-7a. Everyone is basically nice but there is a sense of "who are these new nurses on our turf" with some of the staff. That's what we get for being the new kids on the block, freshmeat, etc...Have a great day! I'm going back to bed as it's 4:40am here. Love and miss everyone!

4 comments:

TVH said...

I loved looking at all the new pictures. you sound like you are doing fine. i would be completely overwhelmed. We miss you !!! Did you hear about Beth's rock? Love you, Terrie

Anonymous said...

Ooh I love reading about your days there, how things run other places, etc. A 15min break in the middle of chaos. How does that happen. You gotta love the CA nurse labor laws. :-)

Hey Keely, no more blog slacking! It's your turn to dish.

alicia

Adventures of Keely and Sybil said...

Supposedly we get a hour nap break each night plus 30 min dinner break! We work our first night shift tonight so we'll let you know what happens. We did hear about Tien and Beth, she sent a text message then Abby Thorn sent us the slideshow of their engagement. Looks like Beth was surprised! The ring is beautiful, he did good!!! We miss you guys too. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Oh I haven't even seen the slide show. I'm calling somebody!

An hour nap.. no way!! Can't wait to hear about this. I've been saying we need a union, or at least some better labor laws.

alicia