Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cesection day in the OR

Hey peeps! We survived our OR day. We were with a nurse named Toni. She was great and runs the OR teams on Mon and Thurs during all of the scheduled c-sections. Regardless, we walked into a mess. One patient was in recovery b/c her water broke during the night and she was a scheduled c/s for next week so she had to deliver during the night shift, the 8am pt already delivered, the noon c/s who was supposed to show up at 10am to be admitted and ready to "cut" BY noon arrived in labor and delivery AT noon. Oh, boy I tell ya! Hmmm, a little miscommunication btwn her and her provider (that's what they call their OB/GYN's). There are a MILLION of them-we'll never remember their names, the midwives or anesthesia folks! So far, there aren't any Rosie's, Dixon's or Franzie's! Well come up with nicknames for them before too long, I'm sure. During the noon c/s (at 1:30pm) the Pediatrician (one always attends c/s's) brought a pharmacy student in to observe. She came up behind me and said she didn't feel well. Out of the OR we went for her to sit on the floor in the recovery room, breathe and drink OJ. She was embarrassed that she almost passed out and I was definitely not learning the do's and don'ts of Kaiser's OR nor was I able to watch anything being done on the computer. Keely was being B nurse (baby nurse) which is who takes over after the Pediatricain and respiratory therapist assess the baby and decided he or she can stay with the mom then go to term nursery. The teams use Nextel phones to alert everyone to come to the OR when it's time. Yeah, those didn't work and respiratory almost missed two deliveries. Meanwhile, Keely has been B nurse a couple of times but hasn't learned Jack about circulating c/s, but I assured her, neither was I. I did get to be B nurse during the 4pm c/s and then the add on c/s. Oh, the 4pm c/s pt showed up at 11am but we couldn't do the c/s until 4pm b/c she ate eggs, tortillas and beans for breakfast! No food 8hrs before surgery... Her baby weighed 9 lbs! I feel much better about doing the baby stuff now, but no clue about the charting. Hey, patients are living and breathing-the charting is gonna have to come later. The best way to describe the floor overall is a tornado, and Walter is right in the middle of it! I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'll add on later since it's 4am here and I'm going back to bed. We work tonight 7p-7a so if anyone is up and bored, call us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess it doesn't matter if it's the east coast or the west coast, pt's still eat before their c/s's. Sounds like a crazy day.

alicia

Anonymous said...

Hey Sybil...long story how I found your blog, but i love it!!!! it sounds like you guys are having so much fun. i'm jealous too...i can't seem to leave tally...anyway, i just wanted to say hey and to let you know that i love reading of your adventures. take care..my email address is flb523@yahoo.


Fawnisha