Friday, March 21, 2008

Oh! I didn't know I'm a traveler.......

Hi everyone its Keely! That is my favorite quote I've heard so far. Another traveler in Labor & Delivery told me to say that whenever someone is getting on to me because I forgot to do something. Haven't had to use it so far but I'm sure I will before its all over with. Our first full 12hr night shift was interesting to say the least. At one point I felt like jumping out the window because I felt so overwhelmed. Before I could find a window the charge nurse approached me and I thought oh gosh what now. But to my delight she said, "Keely why don't you go lay down for an hour." Yes, you read that right we get a 1 hour "break". I could not believe it. As I was kicking my feet up and wrapping up in a blanket I thought gosh if Jeff and Pari could see me now! By the time I did my second admit of the night things started feeling a little better. Not completely sure if it was really getting better or the fact that it was 7am and time for me to go home and not return for 4 nights. Either way I felt a little better by the end of the night. Its hard coming from a hospital where you know everyone to starting at a new hospital only knowing one person. All the nurses on the night shift are super nice and helpful. I think each time we go back to work it will get easier and easier. Then we will be off to another hospital and start over from square one. All and all I think this has definitely been and good experience so far and is forcing me to grow as a person and a nurse. All the growing pains forced Sybil and I to go out last night. Shocking I know! We started a McP's in Coronado. McP's is similar to PoBoy's which is very fun and laid back. It was a slow night at McP's and Sybil was starting to fall asleep on me so I quickly called a cab to take us to Henry's our fave hangout in the Gaslamp District. I told Sybil lets have a drink and see how you feel, if your still tired we can go home. Well the next thing I know Sybil has blown past me and tornadoing all over the place introducing me to all sorts of people. We wound up having a fun night. Thanks Henry's for not letting us down. Today we have hung out around the apartment and lounged at the pool some. Tomorrow we plan on trying another beach out. Will be sure to post and let everyone know what adventure comes our way. Miss everyone a ton!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you found your blog voice, Keely. I can't believe y'all get a nap break. Now that begs the question... does the nap make you more tired?

Enjoy the beach tomm. :-)

alicia