Monday, March 31, 2008

All By Myself

Last night was my first night off orientation as well as my first night going to work without Sybil. Must admit I felt a few butterflies in my stomach as I approached Labor and Delivery. I was hoping it would be a slow Sunday night, but as I turned to corner to the nurses station I heard 1 doctor tell another "man we are slammed not an empty room in the house." Great now I have more than butterflies in my stomach I think I'm going to be sick! I was assigned one active labor patient. As I entered the room I said I quick prayer and put on my "happy" nurse face. I figure half of this nursing gig is keep a smile on your face and never let them see you sweat. The couple I was assigned to were super nice. After seeing their last name I had to ask where they were from. Their response could not have been more perfect. The husband said,
" were are from Tehran, Iran were Persian." I almost laughed out loud! I thought ok this has got to be a sign from Pari. I then quickly told them about my dear friend Pari and we were instant friends. The delivery was great! They were the nicest couple and very appreciative, which always makes you feel good! The rest of the night went well. I went on the have 2 more deliveries. Side note last week another traveler told me she's only had 3 deliveries the whole 2 months she's been at Kaiser. The charge nurse on night shift did give me a good laugh around 4am right before my 3rd delivery. She asked me if Sybil and I were sisters! Now what would give her that idea? Tonight is Sybil's first night "all by herself", so let's all hope the L&D god's are smiling down on her! Be good, Keely

4 comments:

Tanashia said...

Keely,
I always knew that you would do well! Loving it out there? We miss you guys! Tanashia

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm glad your first night by yourself went well. When you get those butterflies (after you pray, that always helps) just think of us and know we are there with you. If every night out there bombed (which of course it won't) you would still come home to a work family that loves you.

xo
alicia

Rhoda said...

Hey Keely,
I knew you could do it!!! Is travel nursing everything I said it would be? It looks like you are having a lot of fun... it almost makes me jealous:)
Love ya,
Rhoda

Adventures of Keely and Sybil said...

Thanks for all the positive comments. I think of my TMH work family often. I miss and love all of you dearly. Gosh, leaving T-town has sure made me sentimental!