Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Lesson In Warm Heat

We made it through our first night in 4 North, otherwise known as antepartum/overflow from every other unit in the hospital. As we came on shift we were assigned to orient with another traveler who's been at Kaiser San Diego for 6 months. She quickly told us what she didn't like about Kaiser and she was so happy her contract was over on Thursday. My first thought was then why did you stay for 6 months if it was so bad? We split her team of patients up so each of us had one patient. Tough I know! During my assessment my patient asked if she could get her heating pad warmed back up. I replied sure and thought now this is a simple task I can handle without having to ask for any help. She then handed me a pillow case with something heavy inside. I opened the pillow case and found a chux pad with something heavy wrapped inside of it. Okay I have know idea what this is, guess its Kaiser's version of a heating pad. Great now I'm going to have to ask for help! The first nurse I came across I asked where do I get another heating pad/warm chux for my patient's back. She then gave me a lecture on how at Kaiser the doctor's do not like their Pt's to have heating pads. To which I replied, "well someone already gave her one for her back and she would like it reheated." She then with a smart a** grin on her face replied, "you must mean your patient wants warm heat for her back." I then busted out laughing and said, "OH yes of course that's what I mean my patient would like warm heat." She then showed me how to soak a towel in scolding hot water and wrap it in a chux like a present then put it back in a pillow case. Hence the pillowcase with something warm and heavy inside. Who knew getting "warm heat" would be such a production. Think Kaiser should invest in gel packs that you warm up in the microwave! After that the night went pretty smooth for me. Sybil was up and down with her pt as she was on magnesium sulfate and had hourly vitals. Also, to our TMH friends, Kaiser's Mag comes in 100ml bags, so they have to be replaced every 2 hours. Can you say pain in the a**!!!!!! All in all the night was not bad at all. We have the next 3 days off so were going to soak up some of this beautiful California sunshine. Which I might add is free of humidity and pollen! Sorry had to rub it in. Take care, Keely

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I had been wondering what to send in your first care package, now I know where to start... liter bags of Mag and warm packs.
:-D
Now if you could return the box w/ some of that pollen and humidity- free sunshine, I'd appreciate it.

I'm liking this blue/pink font thing. I know who I am reading as soon as I pull up the blog. Nice touch, ladies, nice touch.

alicia

Adventures of Keely and Sybil said...

thanks for being our #1 commenter. Keep the comments coming and don't be shy about sending that care package. A little love from home is welcome!

Adventures of Keely and Sybil said...

Sorry, the above shout out is to Alicia Miles!!!! Thanks for all of your comments, advice and opinions!!! We miss you.

Anonymous said...

Well at least at there you can breath the clean fresh air...More than I can say for Tally right now..I don't know about everyone else but my sinuses are killing me. Well hang in there and keep heating up your patients. Must say from what little I know about nursing that is pretty funny... Who knew TMH was soo advanced...

Anonymous said...

Oh that last comment was from Jessica forgot to put my name