Monday, May 19, 2008

Some Days You Should Just Stay In Bed

I dropped Keely off this morning at our apartment when we got off work and took the Kia to a Ford dealership (I know) to get the ac repaired since it hasn't worked for over a month. Kia is there now too, they just don't have the "official" KIA sign out front. The weather is getting warmer here so, air conditioning is a requirement for me. I also wanted to have it fixed by the time our visitors get here this weekend for Memorial Day. (Sorry to those of you who came and suffered thru the cool air provided by mother nature when the windows were rolled down) I decided to rent a car from Enterprise for $36/day so I could go home and sleep rather than sit in the lobby . The girl took me out to a teeny car that smelled like a dog died in it right after it threw up. I said, "no, no, no this isn't going to work and I'm FOR SURE not paying to ride around in this stench!" She quickly cleaned another 1x1 car that had just been returned. The air worked and it didn't stink--sold. I walked around the car (which took about 5 steps) assessing any damage on the car before I drove off the lot so I wouldn't be held responsible when the car was returned. Now, I used to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Stupid-Car in Nashville and in Tallahassee so one would think I had brains enough to get the $9/day damage coverage. I declined it. Could be because I was barely awake at this point. Could be that I'm just a complete idiot.
I drove home, parked the little nugget in our spot in the parking garage and went upstairs to sleep. I woke up at 2pm and called Ford/Kia.
The ac blower was blown but covered under warranty--excellent.
3 rubber hoses were cracked and needed to be replaced--figures.
Will it be done today?
Yes.
Great. I'll be there at 5pm to pick my car up and thanks for washing it.
So, I'm talking to Colleen then Caroline on my cell while driving to FORIA (she told me that "St.George isn't far from Tallahasssee. It's one movie, like Mary Poppins. You pop it in, watch it and then you're there"-love her!) Then I got on the phone with Dad, who was about to tell me about running into Michelle and Elle, as I am pulling into the dealership and I see and hear red and blue lights behind me. "I gotta go, call you back, Dad!" SHIT, I got pulled over in the dealership parking lot so people are staring at me. The cop walks up and I have no idea what I've done. Is talking on your cell phone illegal in CA while driving? Is it legal anywhere? Play dumb. "What's the problem officer?"
"You just crossed a double yellow line pulling in here."
"Oh, really? I'm from Florida (I'm guessing crossing double yellow lines is an illegal driving procedure in all 50 states) and am a travel nurse. I worked all night and have had about 2 hrs of sleep and am very sorry. I'm just trying to pick my car up." I handed him my drivers license, assuring him it was an active/valid Florida license. He said he'd be right back. I hope my Dad didn't hear the siren as this guy was pulling me over. It's bad enough MawMaw wanted to be sure I wasn't in the middle of the huge San Diego State University drug bust a few weeks ago! I promise I came out here to work in labor and delivery, not to be a drug lord. I deliver babies, not kilos.
The cop came right back telling me I was getting a warning this time because he had to go to a traffic accident.
Thank goodness for bad drivers- I hope no one was hurt. Whew!
Into the Enterprise counter I go to return the cardboard box. I walk back outside with the same girl to inspect the car. There is, in fact, a new tiny spot of paint chipped on the hood of the car. How did that happen?!! They have to collect my $500 deductible, write a report and say they will be in touch to let me know how much it is going to be and then will refund my money minus the damages. They didn't find it funny when I asked if I could just buy a can of paint and dab it on the pea-sized spot to save us all the trouble.
Who wants my money next? To the cashier I go to pay for the replaced hoses. Basically, I got out of bed to spend money today. It could be worse-I could have gotten the bad-driver-double-line-crosser-ticket!
Keely's at work tonight so I'm home alone catching ya'll up, paying more bills and doing laundry. Moral --play dumb to cops and ALWAYS buy the damage insurance when renting a car.
Last night at work, a woman came in laboring to have her 5th baby. She was 6cm in triage. They wheeled her down to labor room 1 and started setting the room up for delivery expecting it to go really fast. The nurse walked out to the desk for one second to grab paperwork when the call light went off and the patient said the baby's coming! Patty, the nurse ran back into the room and pulled the sheets back to find the baby in the bed! She asked the patient, "how did you know the baby was coming, did you feel pressure in your bottom?" The new mother said, "no, I heard the baby crying."
You can't make this stuff up! 17 more shifts to go! See you all soon. Love, Sybil

1 comment:

Tanashia said...

Sybil,
You are cracking me up! Wished I could have made it out there to hang out with you guys...but nobody was budging. Tanashia